Sunday, June 7, 2009

Just days away..

This year's Shenandoah 1200 is just days away, and I'm nervous. Not nearly as wound up as I was before Paris-Brest-Paris a couple of years ago, but pretty anxious. This will be my longest ride since P-B-P, and I'm wondering if I can still hack it.

One of the big motivators for me at P-B-P was the crowds along the route. Even in the darkest and rainiest of hours, there was always someone, in every little village, watching- clapping- encouraging. I needed that. I am, and always have been, motivated best when I have to do what I've said I would.

That's the main reason for this blog. You, in effect, will be "the crowd along the route." I won't be able to hear you, or even tell if my posts are getting through. But just knowing that my wife Loree, or someone else, might be reading- that will keep me going. So, I'll be posting from the road often, though the last time I tried this the ride didn't end so well.

Several NC Randonneurs will be riding too. Dr. John, Justin, Tom and Mary, in addition to Phil from SC and Glenn and Jon of VA, three randonneurs who don't call North Carolina home, but ride with us so much we claim them. Glenn and I rode most of P-B-P together, and I'm hoping we spend a lot of miles together this time around too.

And there will be a big bunch of NC Randonneurs volunteering on this ride. Our our Mike D, Jerry, Byron, Jimmy and others will be running the show at the "Mayberry" controle in Mount Airy, NC. It will be a big lift to see them at the halfway point.

From B's PBP Pictures

No comments:

Post a Comment